DA VINCI® ROBOTIC SURGERY at south georgia surgical associates
The daVinci® Surgical System offers our physicians an effective, minimally invasive option for complex surgical procedures.
The daVinci® system uses innovative, advanced robotic technology that allows surgeons to operate through small, dime-size incisions. This provides surgeons with closer access to the surgical site than human vision will allow, all while working at a smaller scale than conventional surgery permits.
Surgery performed with the daVinci® has many favorable outcomes for patients such as:
- Fewer surgical complications
- Decreased hospital stay (compared to open surgery)
- Quicker recovery time
- Reduced trauma to the patient
The innovative surgical tool is used by our surgeons to treat many general surgical conditions.
How does daVinci® work?
With the surgeon seated at the console a few feet from the patient, daVinci® translates and replicates the surgeon’s hand movements in real time, corresponding micro-movements of instruments inside the patient’s body.
Surgery performed with the daVinci® System doesn’t place a robot at the controls. The surgeon is controlling every aspect of the surgery. In fact, the System requires that every surgical maneuver be performed with direct input from the physician.
The components of the robotic system include:
- An ergonomically designed console where the surgeon sits while operating
- A patient-side cart which includes video equipment and monitors
- A high-definition 3D vision system that provides the surgeon with highly accurate depth perception
- Three interactive robotic arms—all with the ability to achieve range of motion greater than the human hand
An extensive array of surgical tools— each with a specific surgical mission, such as clamping, suturing and tissue manipulation.
General Surgery with daVinci focuses on treating cancerous and non-cancerous conditions in areas that are difficult to access through open surgery and conventional minimally invasive approaches. The daVinci® System has revolutionized surgical treatment for many types of cancers, most notably lung cancer.
General surgery with daVinci may be a recommended treatment for the following conditions:
- Lung cancer
- Stomach cancer
- Mediastinal and esophageal cancer
- Colon Cancer
- Anti reflux surgery
- Pancreatic disease (cancer and pancreatitis)